My Blog List

Friday, January 21, 2011

First day/week of W.A.S.H.




Well this week school started and I got to experience W.A.S.H. for the first time. I drove with my friend Lee over to the building and the first thing we were handed was a quote. Mine was "The secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life and in elevating them to art"-- William Morris. We were asked to memorize our quote and decide if we agreed or disagreed with it. I actually agree with mine because if you pay enough attention to notice all of the details of life you are sure to find something that makes you happy. Find joy in the little things.

Then we did a performance art type thing where we were asked to create an appendage out of tape and newspaper that would represent a daydream or a nightmare of ours. I chose to be a nightmare. I created a baby looking thing that I taped to my stomach to represent pregnancy. I fear that because at this age it's a scary thought because I wouldn't know what to do or have any means to support myself or a child. Plus I'm not too fond of children they tend to scream a lot.... or leak.... Any way, after we attached the appendage to ourselves we put on a fashion show type thing where everyone else had to guess if our "other self" was male or female and nightmare or daydream. Everyone got mine right away. That might have to do with the fact that I kind of unintentionally announced what it was and I also made a sour/scared face while walking down the "runway".

After lunch we came back and took notes and went over a few handouts. At this point in time it was a little difficult for me to focus because I hadn't been feeling well all day and having the same class all day can be exhausting in itself. We also did another exercise where we had to represent something through sound only. My group got "value" which we represented through the sound "ka-ching!". It was interesting to say the least and I'm glad we didn't get color.

I was almost late for lecture today, but I made it just in time. Lack of sleep and breakfast made it a little hard to focus but I did my best and participated the best I could. I will definitely be earlier next Friday so there will be less stress in my morning.

Over all W.A.S.H. seemed okay for the first day, but I can tell that it's going to be stressful and going to take up a lot of time obviously. Luckily I've got a few friends who are in it with me. We're going to try to help keep each other sane. I'm just hoping that I can figure out how to balance my time with W.A.S.H. and life drawing II. I think I can do it.

1 comment:

  1. You'll find the time! Though it will be a lot, when you find your rhythm the stress should die down for the most part.

    and your newspaper nightmare both the idea and actual object were terrific!

    ReplyDelete